Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Top 5 Foods Getting Me Through This

Okay, so, in an effort to write more in the weeks leading up to being a student again, I'm going to try to bring you more, non weigh-in related posts*. (By you, I mean the 0 other people who read this blog) I'm starting out with a post I've been thinking about for a while - the Top 5 Foods I've encountered while on this diet that taste good, aren't horrible for you, and most of all, have constantly helped me get through these weeks of dieting.

Coming at you in no particular order:

SmartOnes Breakfast Sandwiches
smart ones breakfast sandwich Pictures, Images and Photos

OMG what can I even say about these breakfast sandwiches? They're 4 points, taste almost exactly like what you would get at Wawa and microwave up in 90 seconds. They're perfect for a day when I can have a bigger breakfast, or even for lunch with a yogurt and some carrots. I can't stress enough how much these taste like the real thing.

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches


So I've tried three of the bunch of flavors of these sandwiches and YUM. They're all really tasty, though I feel like the vanilla ice cream tastes the most "diety" and lacks flavor. The chocolate/chocolate is perfect for a 2-3 point chocolate fix and the strawberry shortcake flavor is the bomb. I really want to try the chocolate/chocolate peanut butter but I haven't made it there yet. I think my dream flavor would be chocolate cookie with strawberry ice cream, but alas, Skinny Cow hasn't made one yet.

Giant Light Rye Bread


Well, if you've gotten this far down the list, you've realized that I love sandwiches...and every NJG (nice jewish girl) knows that the only way to eat a sandwhich is on seeded rye bread. Thankfully, Cati and I discovered this gem at our local Giant, but I feel like it's a regional product because I can't for the life of me find any mention of it online. Anywhere. For 100 calories for two slices, it's one of the lowest calorie breads around. Here's the kicker - the slices are pretty much normal size of a regular slice (maybe a little thinner than normal) and taste almost exactly the same as a regular slice of rye.

Lesser Evil Kettle Corn


This yummy snack comes in two varieties - Kettle and Black and White (pictured - a mix of the Kettle flavor and Chocolate). As you can hopefully see from the picture, the popcorn is more like traditional carmel corn consistancy than traditional kettle. The corn has an almost candy-like coating that really makes this feel like a dessert. A full serving is 110 calories for a cup of popcorn, but I actually think that a half a cup is plenty to cure my craving for sweets. Lesser Evil has some other varieties that I haven't tried yet - I would buy tons more of their stuff if I didn't have to pay a million dollars for it at shudder Whole Foods.

Weight Watchers Chilled Ready Meals
3 Cheese Mac and Cheese


Sorry for the horrible picture quality...again, there isn't much mention of these on the internet, leading me to believe that these are also a regional-ish item. I think that they're mostly available at Giant and Stop and Shop, though in my searches I found tons of mentions of the UK version of this where there looks to be a million yummier options - WW, if you're out there listening, PLEASE BRING CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA TO THE US!!! Seriously, we Americans have expanded our palates and are ready for some better ethnic options. Anywho, back to the matter at hand - this mac and cheese is by far the best in terms of cheesiness and overall taste. Unfortunately, it comes at a price and unless you have a coupon, these babies are a little expensive. For a good mac and cheese craving, they're totally worth it. The ziti version of these meals is also good, but some of the offerings can run a little on the bland side so be prepared to spice things up.

As you can see, for me, the most important factor in "diet foods" is that they taste like the real thing. Hopefully, I'll have more posts like this in the next few weeks leading up to the busiest month of my life as of yet. Happy eating and see you tomorrow for my weekly weigh-in!


*Also, I'm attempting to scale down on my rampant use of commas

No comments:

Post a Comment